Sunday, August 10, 2008

Picking Peaches with Grandmama....and Blueberries too


One of our stops while in Louisiana was at Grandmamas. We were so happy to be there for her 81st birthday, cake and family what more can you ask for on a hot July day. My sweet grandmother lives about as far out in the country as one can go, it is so peaceful there, I love being there and I love the smell in her home. She is a wonderful cook and had a ton of food prepared when we arrived, it was wonderful.
Will & Grandmama went out to pick peaches and blueberries. Will seemed to have fun, the blueberries were starting to dry up but he got a bucket full of peaches. We had to keep reminding him to get the fruit off the trees instead of the ground. This was my first fruit picking experience at Grandmamas, I didn't realize she had so many wonderful fruit trees growing in her yard. I remember going to her house as a little girl and picking cotton right off the plant, it fascinated me that there were seeds in it. You never knew what was going to be growing in the field behind her house....cotton, soy beans, this time it was corn so Will and I went and picked some corn too, it wasn't quite ready to eat but I think he had fun watching me shuck it.
After the pikin' was done we sat on her front porch in the rocking chairs while the boys played in the grass, it was a nice afternoon. Then the excitement began, Will locked himself inside one of the bedrooms. Those who know my eldest son know he is absolutely fascinated with doors, locks, drawers anything that opens and closes. So it was not a huge surprise to Bill and I when he did lock the door, the surprise element hit when we realized he could not get the door unlocked. The lock on this door is somewhat ancient, it is a little switch on the top of the knob that slides back and forth, it has probably been years since the door had been locked so getting it to slide back into the unlocked position was quite a challenge for even Will the 3 year old mechanical whiz. The first few minutes we kept telling him to push the button back to the other side when that was not working we went to see if any of the windows were unlocked and as you can guess they were not. At this point I am starting to get a little nervous...Will is calm and laughing, I am praying he will not announce that he needs to go to the potty. Next Bill removed the door knob but the door is still locked...as I said ancient door...the knob and lock mechanism are totally separate but since the knob is out I can see Will and he can see us...this of course makes him laugh even more...I on on the other hand am starting to get nervous. Our next thought is to take the door off the hinges but as you guessed it the hinges are on Will's side of the door. I am now envisioning having to buy my grandmama a new window because we are obviously going to have to break this one to get my child out. Grandmama started talking about removing the air conditioning unit out of the window when something wonderful happened, Will was able to get the door unlocked...what a wonderful sound and out he walked happy as can be. Bill reattached the door knob and we didn't have to buy a new window. What can I say.... when the Bliss family comes to visit we can promise some excitement! Sadly we had to leave the next day but I am so thankful for the time we had with grandmama. I hope we get to see her again soon.

No comments: